Proper diagnosis is essential for early and appropriate treatment
The common cold and influenza are two distinct illnesses with distinct symptoms — recognize the signs and symptoms when they present.
Recognizing Influenza Symptoms
|Signs and symptoms||Influenza||Cold|
|Fever||Usual; lasts 3-4 days||Rare|
|Aches||Usual; often severe||Slight|
|Chest discomfort, cough||Common; can be severe||Mild to moderate; hacking cough|
This influenza season, encourage your patients to come at the onset of symptoms
- Only 45.5% of adults (aged 18 years and older) received an influenza
vaccination during the 2012-2013
- If taken within 48 hours of symptom onset, antiviral therapy may3:
- Reduce the severity of illness.
- Shorten the duration of illness.
- Next topic: Treatment and prevention