Impact of the Flu
The severity of seasonal influenza in the United States
- Each year in the United States, on average, 5% to 20% of the general
population contracts influenza2
- More than 200,000 people are hospitalized every year due to
- Between 3,000 and 49,000 people die from influenza-related causes annually4
The diagram on the right illustrates the nature of flu contagiousness — from the initial patient who needs influenza treatment to those who come in contact with that person and may need flu treatment or postexposure prophylaxis.
The influenza virus can have significant social impact5
The average annual burden of seasonal influenza among otherwise healthy adults aged 18 to 49 was estimated to include approximately*5:
- 5 million illnesses
- 2.4 million outpatient hospital visits
- 32,000 hospitalizations
- 680 deaths
*Results based on a probabilistic model and publicly available epidemiological data from the 2003 US population.
- Next topic: Help your patients recognize flu symptoms